Nothing About Us
What’s Going on Right Now
The System Is A 'Revolving Door' Says Homeless Study
- Unhoused people in San Francisco say the city’s system for helping them creates a “revolving door,” shuffling homeless people into shelters and right back out again. The entire homeless system needs to change, they say. Throw it out. Reinvent it. Take police out of the homelessness response entirely, replace overcrowded shelters with service-oriented tent encampments and provide rental subsidies to tenants on the verge of eviction.
House Keys Not Sweeps – A Campaign for Dignity and Respect
- Earlier this summer, law student interns with the Systemic Justice Project worked with local organizers to create Know Your Rights pamphlets for all ten of the communities banded together in the Stop the Sweeps campaign. They found that court decisions that are supposed to protect the rights of unhoused people often lead to the opposite outcome: a whack-a-mole strategy in devising schemes to harras with them. People who are unwanted in public because they are homeless are stripped of the straight-forward claim to their right to exist in public spaces.
Let’s Tackle Homelessness Together. Help Pass AB 1845 Today!
- Assembly Bill 1845 (L. Rivas/Chiu), which establishes a cabinet-level Office on Homelessness, has passed the Legislature with bi-partisan support, and Governor Newsom should sign it. Period. Right now, 13 independent state agencies providing homelessness support and resources have no single point of authority overseeing their activities. It’s wasteful & inefficient.
- Homeless Action! is a fully volunteer-run organization to improve the lives of homeless residents of Sonoma County.
- Homeless Action! always needs volunteers to be involved in a variety of tasks from office work to community involvement.
- Our activities and programs are entirely funded by individual donations. Please consider supporting us with a donation.